If you fall behind because your student loan payment is due the same week as the mortgage, car payment, or another big bill, then request a change in your due date.
Step 1. Seek help immediately.
Don't wait until you fall behind.
Step 2. Contact your lender or loan servicer.
Your lender/loan servicer will make every effort to comply with your request for a new due date.
Step 3. Choose a due date that fits your schedule.
- For convenience—Schedule your student loan payment to coincide with your payday or the date on which you pay your other bills.
- For help making payments—Plan your due date when you know you'll have money in your bank account.
- In most cases, due dates fall between the 1st and 28th of the month.
- Once a missed payment appears on your credit history, it may affect your ability to obtain credit in the future.
- Not all lenders/loan servicers may offer this service.